A dental crown is a tooth-shaped covering that is cemented over a tooth. If your tooth needs to have its size, shape, strength, or appearance restored, Dr. Steven Ross may recommend a dental crown in Salinas, California. Our dentist may place a dental crown to perform the following functions:
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking
- Hold together a cracked tooth
- Restore a tooth that is already broken
- Restore a badly worn down tooth
- Cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- Hold a dental bridge in place
- Cover misshaped or stained teeth
- Cover a dental implant
- Make a cosmetic improvement
Our office uses porcelain crowns. These provide the best color match to your natural teeth of any crown type. Because of this, they are especially well suited for the front teeth or other visible teeth. These crowns are ideal for patients with metal allergies.
Before placing a crown, our dentist removes a small amount of tooth enamel to allow room for the crown in your smile. Digital impressions of your tooth and those above or below are made so a dental crown can be constructed. Our office uses CEREC® technology, so your crown will be constructed and placed in one visit. When it is finished, the crown is cemented into place.
We invite you to contact Ross Family Dental today to learn more and to schedule an appointment.